Monkey Mountain

on Saturday, September 27, 2008








Today I went to Monkey Mountain.


I started out at around 6:30 am. I went to the train station that's near our house and I took it down to the harbor (about a 30 minute ride). I knew that Monkey Mountain is near the harbor but I didn't know how to get to the place where all the trails are, so I had Steve's son Joseph write the name of the place in chinese on a card that I could show to people.


When I got out at the harbor, I went to a nearby street market and showed the first couple I saw the card and asked how to get there. The man pointed up the street and so I started walking in that direction. After walking for about 6 blocks some people on a scooter started honking at me and yelling "HELLOOO!" When I looked over to say hi back, I noticed it was the man and his wife again and they were motioning for me to come to them. The man patted the back of his scooter seat and said, "Take you, we take you." So I got on the back and his wife crouched down in the leg area, and we all drove up the mountain on a little scooter. It's a lucky thing they came and picked me up because there's no way I would've been able to find that place by myself. Even if I did know where it was it would've taken me at least and hour and a half to walk there.


The mountain is the by far the coolest place I have ever been in my life. I've never seen so much green before. For about the first 1/4 mile the trail was paved, and there was no real wildlife to speak of. I was worried that I got on the wrong trail, but the pavement ended and after a little while of more rugged trail I climbed over a rock and there was a big monkey sitting with his back to me about 3 feet away. He casually looked back over his shoulder at me and gave me a kind of bored look, and then went right back to eating his leaves. I stayed with him there for a little bit, and took a bunch of pictures of him. He didn't seem to mind me being there until I tried to pet him. It was too close for his comfort, and he made a weird barking sound at me, so I left him alone.


I hit the mother load of monkeys about 30 yards further up the mountain, a huge group of them. It was the coolest thing I have ever seen.


I took a bus from the from the trailhead back down to the harbor train station. On the way home I stopped at a big street market by Formosa Boulevard to get some lunch. While I was at this little meat on stick stand, trying to figure out what kind of meat it was, the old woman who owned the stand came and gave me some beef on a stick. Then she gave me $30twd. Needless to say, I was a little confused. I just kind of stood there, a little puzzled about what just happened, and the lady said "No money, ma?"


I told her "Oh, no I actually have money."


And her friend laughed excitedly and said "Yes, Yes now you have money. We give you money!"


I tried explaining that I already have money, but they weren't getting it. So, I thanked them for the change and the free beef and went and got back on the train.


All in all, it was a pretty good day.




1 comments:

Emily said...

Nice new look AJ. ;) Those pictures are great, I bet you are glad you have that new camera. Have fun this weekend on your island gettaway!